The Healthy Recipe Database is a free resource for delicious, healthy, and affordable recipes. These recipes are designed specifically for our partner agencies and utilize common Food Bank ingredients. CAFB recipes are available in both English and Spanish, are developed by professional chefs and taste-tested by food bank staff and partners. We think you’re going to like them, so check back often as delicious new recipes will be uploaded every month.
The recipes are made available in PDF format to easily print and distribute at your agency. We suggest that you make them available to your clients whenever possible. For more more cooking tips and recipe ideas, as well as video tutorials, visit the CAFB YouTube channel. Please email email@example.com with questions.
Main dishes are the heart and soul of any healthy diet. Main dishes give you energy to stay healthy and active throughout the day. Without main dishes such as lean meats and beans, meals are incomplete and lack essential nutrients. Look below for great ideas on main dishes that kick up the flavor and the nutrition!
- Bean and Cheese Tostadas
- Baked Eggs over Crispy Rice Cake
- BBQ Cheddar Mini Pizzas with Acorn Squash and Corn
- Bean Quesadillas
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Cheesy Bean Bites
- Chickpea Stew
- Cheddar and Greens Quesadillas
- Kale and Brown Rice Bowl with Peanut Sauce
- Kale Scramble
- Lentils and Rice (Mujadara)
- Spicy Eggplant
- Cabbage and Carrot Quesadillas with Peanut Sauce
- Veggie and Cheese Egg Bake
- West African Sweet Potato Stew
- Baked Nachos with Veggies and Smashed Beans
- Spaghetti Squash “Pasta” with Fresh Herbs
- Veggie Wraps with Spicy Radishes and Spring Lettuce
- Tortilla Pizzas with Veggies
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Sweet Carrot Noodle Casserole
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos
Side dishes offer the extra nutrients needed to make a complete meal. Add one of these dishes to your plate and you have a complete meal. Also, side dishes such as brown rice or sautéed vegetables are packed with fiber, calcium, and protein. Check out the side dishes below for great ideas on how to make a healthy complete meal that is still budget-friendly.
- Asian-Inspired Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Acorn Squash Rings
- Carrot Fried Rice
- Chickpea Stew
- Collard Green Coleslaw
- Curried Sweet Potato Bites
- Ethiopian Collard Greens
- Fruit Compote
- Holiday Stuffing
- Kale Chips
- Lentil Curry with Yogurt Sauce
- Oven Roasted Potato Stacks
- Sautéed Cabbage
- Smashed Potatoes with Greens
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Roasted Sweet Potato with Apples and Scallions
- Sautéed Cabbage with Noodles
- Tangy and Sweet Stewed Eggplant and Tomatoes
- Sicilian Greens
- Skillet Mac and Cheese with Collards
- Smashed Bean Avocado Dip with Baked Corn Tortilla Chips
Soups & Salads
Soups and salads are a great way to have complete one-dish meals that are easy to make and nutrient packed. Add proteins such as grilled chicken or hardboiled eggs to any salad for a complete meal. Don’t think soups are just for wintertime! When made from scratch, soups can be nutrient and protein rich. Want some ideas? The soups and salads below are perfect for side dishes or healthy meals.
Dessert & Snacks
Hungry in between meals or craving something sweet? Whip up one of these healthy snacks or desserts to keep your energy levels high. We are often told to stay away from desserts and snacks, but don’t fret, we have plenty of healthy ideas here. No need to fill your stomachs with un-necessary sugar, salt and fat; keep desserts and snacks light and energy- filled.
Sauces & Dressings
Meals without sauces and dressings can be bland, but you can enhance the flavor of any dish by adding a healthy sauce or dressing. Store bought dressings are often filled with additives, so check out the recipes below for ideas on how to cut back on sugar, fat, and sodium while still tasting delicious.