380 calories | 56g carbs | 9g fat (2g sat fat) | 22g protein | 650mg sodium | 10g fiber | 8g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $6.61
- 1 ½ cups dry brown lentils
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded, and chopped.
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups parsley or cilantro, finely chopped with stems, divided
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Juice of 2 lemons, divided or 4 tablespoons vinegar divided.
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin or chili powder.
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Fill a medium saucepan with water two-thirds to the top. Bring water to boil. Add the lentils and bay leaf (if desired), reduce heat to simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and add ½ teaspoon salt and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the lentils, cucumber, onion, half of the parsley, oil, half of the lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine he yogurt, cumin, parsley and lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Divide the lentils into bowls and spoon yogurt sauce on top.
Watch Your Sodium
The recommended sodium intake per day is 2,300mg per day or less.
Enjoy with brown rice and a fried egg on top.