300calories | 58g carbs | 5g fat (1g sat fat) | 10g protein | 110mg sodium | 6g fiber | 10g sugar per serving
Serves 6 for $8.65
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of ground oregano
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small yuca, peeled and cut in chunks.
- Add oil to pan on medium heat. Then add the onion, garlic, pepper, tomato, paste, and oregano and cook until the peppers and onions are soft.
- Add water, broth, and lentils to the pot and cover. Cook on low until the lentils are soft about 20-30 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, cut the yuca, plantain and sweet potato into bite-sized chunks and add to the pot once lentil are cooked. Turn temperature to medium and cook until soft.
- When vegetables are soft, add in cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste. Serve while hot.
Substitute any of the vegetables in the recipe with any root vegetables.