481 calories | 39g carbs | 19g fat (4g sat fat) | 39g protein | 992mg sodium | 6g fiber | 14g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $6.70
This kid-friendly recipe is perfect for an easy dinner or at your next bbq.
- 1 (15-oz.) low sodium can white beans (white, kidney, pinto, or garbanzo/chickpeas)
- 1 small onion
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 8 lettuce leaves
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Drain and rinse beans. In a large bowl, lightly mash beans with a fork.
- Grate onion on a box grater. Mix together the turkey, onion, barbecue sauce and beans. Form into 8 small burgers.
- In a large, non-stick pan, heat 2 Tbs. oil over medium heat. Fry the burgers in two batches until well browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve the burgers on the lettuce leaves. Fold lettuce around the burger.
Rinsing Canned Goods:
Look for No Salt Added or Low Sodium canned goods, but when these options are not available, rinsing and draining canned produce can reduce the sodium levels by up to 40%.
Watch Your Sodium:
The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.