300 calories | 25g carbs | 17g fat (3g sat fat) | 15g protein | 432mg sodium | 6g fiber | 10g total sugars (10g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $7.50
- ½ pound Italian turkey sausage
- 2 bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 (1-pound) medium eggplant, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the sausage from the casing by cutting a shallow slit down the center of the sausage and peeling off the casing. Break the sausage into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot. Cook the sausage until lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the oil in the skillet.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan, and cook until lightly browned, then transfer them to the bowl with the sausage.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the same pan. Add the eggplant, and sauté until lightly browned. Stir in the tomato paste to coat the eggplant. Stir in ½ cup water and cook until eggplant is very tender, adding more water as needed. Season with the salt and pepper. Return the sausage, peppers, and onions to the skillet. Mix well, and heat through.