480 calories | 49g carbs | 18g fat (4g sat fat) | 33g protein | 520mg sodium | 7g fiber per serving
Serves 4 for $6.50
- ½ pound Italian turkey sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, sliced
- 1 (1-pound) medium eggplant, cut into
- ½-inch pieces 2 tablespoons tomato paste ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the sausage from the casing by cutting a shallow slit down the center of the sausage and peeling off the casing. Break the sausage into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot. Sauté the sausage until lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the oil in the skillet.
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan, and sauté until lightly browned, then transfer them to the bowl with the sausage.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the same pan. Add the eggplant, and sauté until lightly browned. Stir in the tomato paste to coat the eggplant. Stir in ½ cup water and cook until eggplant is very tender, adding more water as needed. Season with the salt and pepper. Return the sausage, peppers, and onions to the skillet. Mix well, and heat through.
- Recipe Tips: You can use any color bell peppers. You can substitute zucchini for the eggplant. Use hot or sweet sausage for this dish.
Eggplant is a fiber-filled vegetable that soaks up the flavor of any spice.
Make it a Meal:
Serve this dish with brown rice and a side salad or vegetables for a complete meal.