Over the years, the United States Postal Service as we know it has changed. Processing and distribution centers have recently consolidated, Saturday mail delivery was debated, and many other changes have been implemented due to a decline in mail volume.
One thing has remained the same, however, and that’s the second Saturday in May – the Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive. This Saturday, May 9th, we celebrate the 23rd year of the nation’s largest single-day food drive. Last year, Stamp Out Hunger provided nearly 85,000 meals to the Capital Area Food Bank!
The National Association of Letter Carriers will collect food donations across the country to support local food banks. Here is how you can help:
- Collect nonperishable food donations in a bag. Remember, every bit counts! We are currently in need of:
- Peanut butter
- Canned meat or fish
- Canned fruit in their own juices
- Low Sodium canned vegetables
- Canned or bagged beans
- Leave your bag of donations by your mailbox on Saturday, May 9th before 9am. Your local letter carrier will pick up the donations and deliver directly to the Capital Area Food Bank.
- Spread the word: Remind everyone you know to leave a bag of nonperishable food by their mailboxes. You can use twitter and Facebook as a reminder, click here for more information.
Don’t forget to leave your donation by your mailbox on Saturday!