Jodi Balis is Capital Area Food Bank’s Resident Dietitian. Follow her on Twitter at @TheRedLentil
The Capital Area Food Bank recently received a donation of 14,400 ears of sweet corn from Lewis Orchards in Dickerson, Maryland, which prompted the question, “What are some ways to prepare corn while it is plentiful and in season?”
With the peak of the corn season coming to an end, corn is often piled high at grocery stores and farmers markets.
In pure Healthy Eating on a Budget fashion, here are some ways you can enjoy the fresh flavor of corn now, take advantage of sale prices and stock up for later.
Enjoy Fresh Now
- Take a cup and add to soups, salad or salsa
- Infuse salad dressing with fresh corn flavor – Roast and mash, then add to your favorite salad dressing
- Fold into pancake or muffin batter
- Grill or roast, then roll in a pat of butter and fresh parsley or basil
- Sprinkle on top of a pizza or fold into a burrito
- Fold into scrambled eggs or a frittata
- Stuff into grilled cheese or a quesadilla
Freeze for Later
Freezing corn while in season provides a bang for your buck and can offer more flavor than store bought frozen corn. Here’s how:
- Boil corn in water for five minutes
- Submerge in cold water for five minutes
- Cut corn off the cob
- Store in sealable freezer bags
This summer and throughout the winter, may corn flow from your countertops and freezers into your recipes!
Be well and happy eating.