We welcome members of the media, researchers, and others in our community to explore our fact sheets and press releases to learn more about hunger in our region and the innovative ways we’re working to address it.
Food insecurity in our region
- 1.2 million people throughout the Washington metro area didn’t always know where their next meal was coming from during 2021
- One-third of those who are food insecure are children
- In every county in our region, at least one in five people faced challenges getting enough to eat in 2021, and in some counties, as many as half of residents experienced food insecurity
How we’re addressing the problem
- We anchor the hunger-relief infrastructure in our region, distributing food through a network of more than 400 nonprofit partner organizations
- With those partners, we distribute more than 50 million meals annually to families, individuals, seniors, and children
- We also have programming that targets the root causes of hunger by using food to accelerate the impact of partners offering services ranging from healthcare to job training.
To learn more, check out our in-depth fact sheets, which provide insights into our programs by geographic region:
We invite you to explore the rest of our site to learn what we do and how we do it: