15 Things You Can Do to Take Action and
Help Unlock the Power of Food
- REFLECT on how you feel – physically, mentally, and emotionally – when you’re hungry.
- SHARE one thing you learned at the Blue Jeans Ball over social media using #BJB2018.
- LEARN more about hunger in our area.
- VOLUNTEER in our DC or VA distribution centers.
- HELP DISTRIBUTE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES at a free monthly Community Marketplace in DC, MD, and VA.
- HOST A FOOD DRIVE for items on our “Most Wanted List” at a place where you work, play, learn, worship, or volunteer.
- Come with a group of friends or co-workers to one of our EMPTY BOWLS events this fall.
- Suggest CAFB as the location for your office’s next CORPORATE VOLUNTEER DAY. If your office doesn’t have a volunteer day, think about starting one!
- Bring your friends or family to dig, weed, and plant in our URBAN DEMONSTRATION GARDEN.
- Come TAKE A TOUR of our facility to learn more about our work.
- Make one of the food bank’s fast, delicious, and affordable RECIPES (also available in store at Giant)
- GET THE KIDS IN YOUR LIFE INVOLVED. Talk to them about helping others and bring them to a local food drive or get them involved in helping to run one.
- Engage your office, friends, or family in a little friendly competition by raising funds online through CROWDFUNDING
- The next time you dine out, DONATE THE COST OF YOUR MEAL. Every $1 provides 2.5 meals.
- Brainstorm 15 more ways to take action and GET 15 MORE PEOPLE INVOLVED.
Blue Jeans Ball Host Committee Chair: Valerie Mallett
Valerie G. Mallett is honored to serve as the Chair of the Organizing Committee of this year’s Blue Jeans Ball. She has over 25 years’ experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors on a wide range of issues. Recently, she served a member the District of Columbia Library Board of Trustees, where she chaired the Performance Oversight Committee and provided leadership in helping to transform the D.C.’s library system into a world-class system.
Valerie graduated from the University of Virginia and obtained her law degree from Georgetown University. She lives in McLean, Virginia with her husband and son, and embraces happily and passionately every chance she has in her spare time to cook and be with family and friends.
- Ana at District Winery
- Anna & Anna Catering
- Arroz by Mike Isabella
- Barrel & Crow
- BRABO Tasting Room
- Ben’s Chili Bowl
- Burton’s Grill & Bar
- Cabot Creamery Co-Operative
- Cafe Saint-Ex
- Congressional Seafood Company
- Damascene Catering
- Deco Delicatessen
- Farm to Feast Catering
- Fig and Olive DC
- The Fourth Estate at the National Press Club
- GCDC Grilled Cheese Bar DC
- Hill Country BBQ
- Ice Cream Jubilee
- The Marriott Marquis
- The Melting Pot
- Occidental Grill & Seafood
- Rock Creek Food Company
- RPM Italian
- Ruby Scoops Ice Cream & Sweets
- Seylou Bakery + Mill
- Summer House Santa Monica & Stella Barra Pizzeria
- Sweet Hearts Patisserie
- Sweet Pearlz Cheesecake
- Tiger Fork
- Two Acre Farm
- Union Street Public House
For additional questions about becoming a participating restaurant at Blue Jeans Ball, please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (202) 644-9882.
For additional questions about becoming a participating mixologist at Blue Jeans Ball, please contact Maria at email@example.com or at (202) 644-9809.
For additional questions about becoming an auction donor at Blue Jeans Ball, please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (202) 644-9882.