230 calories | 42g carbs | 5g fat (1g sat fat) | 5g protein | 340mg sodium | 8g fiber | 4g sugar per serving
Serves 4 for $3.30. Total time: 30 minutes.
- ¾ cup clack or pearled barley
- 1 medium sweet potato chopped
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup cooked green peas (frozen or canned with no salt added)
- ¼ cup light coconut milk (substitute: whole milk)
- 1 tablespoon berbere spice mix (substitute curry powder)
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Place barley in a pot over medium heat with 1½ cups water. Simmer and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- To roast the vegetables, spread the chopped sweet potato and onion into a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for about 25 minutes flipping halfway through. When cooked to desired texture, remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milk, spices, and salt. Whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, roasted vegetables, dressing, green peas, and chopped cilantro. Toss well to combine.
- Substitute barley with quinoa or brown rice to make the dish gluten free.