81 calories | 8g carbs | 4g fat (1g sat fat) | 5g protein | 124mg sodium | 3g fiber | 4g total sugars (g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $4.54
- 1 eggplant, or enough to cut into twelve ½ inch round slices
- (optional) ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup low sodium tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F
- (optional) For more crispy eggplant, sprinkle ½ the salt on the top of eggplant slices for 10-15 minutes until water droplets start to form. Pat dry and repeat on the other side.
- Lightly brush both sides of the eggplant with oil, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, or until slightly brown. Turn halfway through.
- Take out of the oven and place sauce, cheese, and suggested toppings on eggplant slices.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Optional topping suggestions
Sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, broccoli, jalapeños, onions, garlic powder, black pepper, fresh basil, oregano, Italian seasoning.