516 calories | 87g carbs | 12g total fat (1g sat fat) | 16g protein | 645g sodium | 14g fiber | 6g sugar (0 added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $5.10
This vegetarian recipe is the perfect meal for a cold day.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added chickpeas
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium-low heat in a large pan that has a lid. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme, and salt. Cook and stir for 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the orange juice, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the stew to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the stew thickens a bit, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the rice.
Cooking Brown Rice
Getting just the right water-to-rice ratio for brown rice can be tricky! One easy way to cook your brown rice is to treat it just like pasta! Bring a large post of water to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt, a splash of olive oil, and 1 bay leaf. Leave mixture to boil for about 30 minutes, or until desired tenderness then drain, return to the pot and let site covered for 5-10 minutes.
Switch out the chickpeas in this recipe with any kind of beans to try new flavors.