538 calories | 59g carbs | 18g fat (5g sat fat) | 40g protein | 784mg sodium | 11g fiber | 6g total sugars (6g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $12
This recipe is a delicious way to use canned chicken that the entire family will enjoy.
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, rinsed, cut into small florets
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups (2, 15-ounce cans) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, put the chicken in the pan, and cook 4 minutes. Flip the chicken, and cook another 4 minutes. Turn off the heat, transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cut it into 1-inch strips, and set aside.
- Heat the skillet over low heat, add the garlic and pepper flakes to the pan, and cook 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the pasta and the broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently, the liquid thickens, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and chicken, and gently simmer until broccoli is tender, about 5 more minutes. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top, and season with salt and pepper.
Roast, steam, or sauté any remaining broccoli to use as a side dish for another meal
Read the Labels:
Make at least half your grains whole. To make sure that the first ingredient in the ingredients list says “whole”
Watch Your Sodium:
Use no sodium spices or fresh herbs instead of salt. The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.