200 calories | 39g carbs | 5g fat (1g sat fat) | 3g protein | 170mg sodium | 5g fiber | 21g sugar per serving
Serves 4 for $3.30
- 2 (ripe) plantains
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 1 small red bell pepper
- ½ onion, chopped
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 garlic cloves, or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ tablespoon thyme, or Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 475F
- Cut the ends of the plantains, then score the skin to create an opening to peel off the skin. Slice plantains as you prefer, lightly salt and toss in 1 tablespoon oil. Bake for 15 minutes (you may need more time for thicker slices).
- Blend (or finely chop) tomatoes, chopped onions, pepper, and garlic in a blender with ½ cup water.
- Heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook for two minutes. Add tomato paste to onions and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high, pour in blended vegetables, add spices, and cook for 10 minutes until thickened. Serve immediately with plantains.