288 calories | 6g carbs | 15g fat (3g sat fat) | 32g protein | 760mg sodium | 2g fiber | 3g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $8.00
This low-carb recipe can serve your family of 4 dinner for under $8.00
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ head of cabbage, chopped or shredded
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped, stems included (optional)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Peanuts (optional)
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and cook, breaking into small pieces with the back of a spoon.
- Add cabbage, carrot, and soy sauce and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- Serve with chopped peanuts and cilantro (if desired) on top.
Reduce Food Waste
Slice the remaining leftover cabbage, toss with oil, and roast on a baking sheet for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. When using fresh, soft herbs such as cilantro or parsley, do not waste the stems! These stems have the same flavors as the leaves with added crunch. Stretch your food dollars by using the entire plant.
Watch Your Sodium
Use no sodium spices or fresh herbs instead of salt. The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.