115 calories | 9g carbs | 8g fat (1g sat fat) | 3g protein | 365mg sodium | 4g fiber | 2g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $3.75
- 8 cups collards, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice concentrate)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet (with a lid). When oil is hot, add onions, and cook 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper flakes, cumin, paprika and sauté for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Careful not to burn the spices.
- Add collards, lemon juice, and little water. Cover and cook 15 minutes until greens are tender. Add a little more water as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add lentils for more protein. To cook lentils, fill a medium saucepan with water two-thirds to the top and bring to a boil. Add 1 cup lentils, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the lentils are tender about 20 minutes.
Fresh vs Bottle Citrus
When a recipe calls for fresh lime or lemon juice, you can substitute the bottled concentrate version. The juice of one piece of fruit is roughly equal to 2 tablespoons of bottled juice.
Enjoy over rice or with flatbread