260 calories | 36g carbs | 9g fat (1g sat fat) | 7g protein | 531mg sodium | 36g fiber | 9g sugar (3g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $1.90
This vegetarian breakfast is so delicious you wouldn’t even know there was carrots in it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated carrots, using the large holes of a box grater
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or oil
- Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat to 200°F. This will keep the pancakes warmed as theyʼre fried in batches.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and, if using, raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in carrots. Add the carrot mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just mixed. Avoid over mixing the batter.
- Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter or add oil to a large non-stick skillet.
- For each pancake, spoon 2 tablespoons batter into the hot pan per pancake, flipping once, until pancakes are golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. After finishing each pancake, transfer to a serving dish or tray in the oven, to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding remaining butter or oil as needed.