475 calories | 69g carbs | 12g fat (2g sat fat) | 28g protein | 735mg sodium | 12g fiber | 15g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $13.50
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chili, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans low salt diced tomatoes
- 1 box (32-ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can low salt corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can low salt black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken (boneless breasts or thighs)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 2 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Move an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425°F. Place the tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly crisped, about 6 minutes (donʼt let the tortillas become overly crisp and stiff or they will shatter when you try to cut them into strips).
- Cool the tortillas slightly and then use scissors to cut them into strips (itʼs fine if some of the strips break apart). Set the tortilla strips aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chili and cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the corn, black beans, chopped chicken, tortilla strips, cilantro, and lime juice and cover the pan. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside until the tortillas strips soften and start to lose their shape, about 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt to taste.
Substitute Canned Chicken
Swap out one 12 ounce can of chicken breast for every two small chicken breast in any recipe.
Watch Your Sodium
Use no sodium spices or fresh herbs instead of salt. The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.