381 calories | 53g carbs | 10g fat (2.4g sat fat) | 22g protein | 440mg sodium | 9g fiber per serving
Serves 4 for $9.50
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chili, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans low salt diced tomatoes
- 1 box (32-ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can low salt corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can low salt black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken (boneless breasts or thighs)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 2 limes
- Move an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly crisped, about 6 minutes (donʼt let the tortillas become overly crisp and stiff or they will shatter when you try to cut them into strips).
- Cool the tortillas slightly and then use scissors to cut them into strips (itʼs fine if some of the strips break apart).
- Set the tortilla strips aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chili and cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the corn, black beans, chopped chicken, tortilla strips, cilantro, and lime juice and cover the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside until the tortillas strips soften and start to lose their shape, about 5 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings, adding salt to taste.