295 calories | 27g carbs | 15g fat (3g sat fat) | 13g protein | 520mg sodium | 4g fiber | 4g sugar (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $2.94
This vegetarian, kid-friendly recipe is delicious and easy to make for under $3.00.
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 4 carrots, grated with a large box grater
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, white and light green parts
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Heat the oil in in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots and ginger and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Move the carrots and ginger to one side of the pan.
- Pour eggs on the other side of the pan, turn down the heat and allow to cook 4 minutes until eggs set on the bottom side. Fold eggs over the carrots and ginger and allow to cook 3 more minutes until loosely set.
- Fold in scallions, soy sauce, and rice, and mix together until combined.
Having cooked rice on hand in the fridge makes this a quick recipe to throw together on a weeknight.
Cooking Brown Rice
Getting just the right water-to-rice ratio for brown rice can be tricky! One easy way to cook your brown rice is to treat it just like pasta! Bring a large post of water to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt, a splash of olive oil, and 1 bay leaf. Leave mixture to boil for about 30 minutes, or until desired tenderness then drain, return to the pot and let site covered for 5-10 minutes.