366 calories | 31g carbs | 16g fat (3g sat fat) | 26g protein | 844mg sodium | 7g fiber | 7g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 6 for $10.39
This delicious chili is a quick and easy dinner for the whole family.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, plus more if needed
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the onions, and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the chili powder, and give a few good stirs.
- Add the turkey; break it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon and cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the beans with their liquid, and heat through.
- Add the salt. Taste and add more chili powder to taste. Mix well.
Make it a Meal
Enjoy with brown rice.
Rinsing Canned Goods
Look for No Salt Added or Low Sodium canned goods, but when these options are not available, rinsing and draining canned produce can reduce the sodium levels by up to 40%.
Watch Your Sodium
Use no sodium spices or fresh herbs instead of salt. The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.