356 calories | 7g carbs | 25g fat (5g sat fat) | 26g protein | 574mg sodium | 2g fiber | 4g sugar (0 added sugar) per serving
Serves 6 for $9.70
This diabetes friendly, no-cook recipe is the perfect lunch.
- 2 (10-ounce) cans chicken, drained, juice reserved
- ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 small oranges, peeled and segments cut in half
- ½ cup red or green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Chopped peanuts, optional
- Combine ingredients.
- Allow to sit 15 minutes or overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve as a salad, with whole wheat bread as a sandwich, or in a tortilla or lettuce leaf as a wrap.
Reduce Food Waste
When using fresh, soft herbs such as cilantro or parsley, do not waste the stems! These stems have the same flavors as the leaves with added crunch. Stretch your food dollars by using the entire plant.
Substitute canned chicken with 2 cups of cooked and cubed fresh chicken breast.
Watch Your Sodium
Use no sodium spices or fresh herbs instead of salt. The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.