359 calories | 61g carbs | 1g fat (1g sat fat) | 15g protein | 438mg sodium | 13g fiber | 5g total sugar (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 6 for $6.70
This vegetarian stew costs under $7.00 and is easy to make.
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can peas, no salt added with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans (or kidney beans)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt, and sauté until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes. Add curry powder and mix well.
- Add potatoes, peas, chickpeas, and white beans. Mix well, reduce to medium-low heat, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Ad more water if needed.
Make it a Meal
Enjoy with brown rice.
Mix it Up
Add some heat to this stew with some spicy peppers or add fresh or canned tomatoes for a different flavor.
Rinsing Canned Goods
Look for No Salt Added or Low Sodium canned goods, but when these options are not available, rinsing and draining canned produce can reduce the sodium levels by up to 40%.