171 calories | 12g carbs | 14g fat (2g sat fat) | 2g protein | 305mg sodium | 5g fiber | 6g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $4.00
This heart-healthy, low-carb recipe can be served on brown rice to make a tasty meal.
- 1 medium eggplant (approximately 1 lb.), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes, chop and reserve the juices
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a large pot or skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Sauté the eggplant until lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes with the tomato juices and cook until the eggplant is very tender.Season with salt.
Add another ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes for a spicier dish.
Make it a Meal:
Serve this dish with 1 cup of cooked brown rice and a side salad for a complete meal
Substitute one pound of any fresh, frozen, or canned produce for the eggplant.