293 calories | 70g carbs | 8g fat (1.3g sat fat) | 9g protein | 327mg sodium | 10g fiber per serving
Serves 8 for $5.50
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch collards, stem removed and cut into ribbons
- ¼ cup oil 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, and cook 15 minutes. Slightly lower the heat if the water spills over.
- Add the collards and cook 10 more minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In the same pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and smoked paprika and cook 30 seconds being careful not to burn the garlic. Turn the heat to low, return the potatoes and collards to the pan, add the milk and mash using a potato masher. Season with Salt and Pepper.
Kids in the Kitchen:
Mashing the potatoes is a great activity that kids can help with. Allow the pot to cool slightly to avoid burns and allow the kids to mash away!
Switch it Out:
For an Indian inspired twist, use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. If you have on hand, swap the milk for coconut milk and 1 teaspoon curry powder instead of smoked paprika.