165 calories | 23g carbs | 7g fat (1g sat fat) | 4g protein | 307mg sodium | 2g fiber | 2g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 8 for $5.50
This heart-healthy recipe is a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch collards, cut into ribbons
- ¼ cup oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup milk or milk substitute or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, and cook 15 minutes. Slightly lower the heat if the water spills over. Add the collards and cook 10 more minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In the same pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and smoked paprika
- Return the potatoes and collards to the pan, add the milk and mash using a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper.
Kids in the Kitchen:
Mashing the potatoes is a great activity that kids can help with. Allow the pot to cool slightly to avoid burns and allow the kids to mash away.
Switch it Out:
Use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. If you have on hand, swap the milk for coconut milk and use 1 teaspoon curry powder instead of smoked paprika.