206 calories | 27g carbs | 8g fat (2g sat fat) | 3g protein | 583mg sodium | 6g fiber | 2g total sugars (1g added sugar) per serving
Serves 4 for $6.00
This recipe is described perfectly by its name: it is the best mix of both tangy and sweet.
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can low salt tomatoes or 1 large fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup raisins
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook the onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, add the eggplant and cook 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Add the onion and celery, the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and raisins. Cook 10 more minutes until the mixture has thickened.
A fried egg on top, or serve over whole grain bread, brown rice, chicken, or fish.
Add More Flavor
Fresh herbs add a huge flavor boost without extra sodium. Try oregano, thyme, or basil.
Watch Your Sodium
The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less