193 calories | 20g carbs | 10g fat (1.4g sat fat) | 2g protein | 40mg sodium | 3g fiber per serving
Serves 4 for $5.00
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (15-ounce) can low salt tomatoes or 1 large fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup raisins
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook the onion and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, add the eggplant and cook 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Add the onion and celery, the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and raisins.
- Cook 10 more minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Enjoy over crusty bread, brown rice, chicken, or fish.
A fried egg on top packs in protein to round out the dish.
Freshen it Up
Adding fresh herbs gives a huge flavor boost. Fresh oregano, thyme, or basil are great additions.