322 calories | 40g carbs | 13g fat (2g sat fat) | 10g protein | 367mg sodium | 2g fiber per serving | 1g total sugars (0 added sugar)
Serves 8 for $6.70
This heart-healthy, kid-friendly recipe is easy to make for a weeknight dinner.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet that has a lid over medium heat. Add the rice to the pan and evenly spread the rice to the edge of the pan, forming a circle by using the back of a spoon or measuring cup.
- Allow the rice cake to cook until the bottom starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Lower the heat slightly if the bottom starts to brown too quickly. Make 4 indentations with a spoon and crack the eggs on top. Cover and allow the eggs to cook until the whites are set, about 5 minutes; cook longer for a firm yolk.
- Cut into slices and top with your favorite condiments, such as black pepper, salt, or salsa.
Good Food Fast:
Having cooked rice on hand in the fridge makes this a quick recipe to come together on a weeknight.
Cooking Brown Rice:
Getting just the right water-to-rice ratio for brown rice can be tricky! One easy way to cook brown rice is to treat it just like pasta! Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 1 teaspoon of salt, a splash of olive oil, and 1 bay leaf. Leave mixture to boil for 30 minutes, or until tenderness then drain, return to the pot and let sit covered for 5-10 minutes.