350 calories | 45g carbs | 10g total fat (1.5g sat fat) | 16g protein | 410mg sodium | 17g fiber per serving
Serves 6 for $5.00
- 1 cup brown or green dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomatoes, with juice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Fill a medium saucepan with water two-thirds to the top. Bring water to boil.
- Add the lentils, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and curry powder, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes with juice and lentils, and simmer until the curry thickens a bit, about 10 minutes. Season with salt, and stir.
- To make the yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, mix the cilantro with the yogurt.
- Enjoy the lentils over a bowl of rice topped with yogurt sauce.
Good Food Fast:
Cook the lentils at the start of the week and this recipe comes together pretty quickly at mealtime.