329 calories | 54g carbs | 7g fat (1g sat fat) | 13g protein | 660mg sodium | 7g fiber | 6g total sugars (0g added sugar) per serving
Serves 6 for $5.00
This vegetarian recipe is packed full protein and a great way to eat lentils.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup brown or green dried lentils
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomatoes, with juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, stems included
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Fill a medium saucepan with water two-thirds to the top. Bring water to boil. Add the lentils and bay leaf (if desired), reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, add ½ teaspoon of salt, and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and curry powder, and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes with juice and lentils, and simmer until the curry thickens a bit, about 10 minutes.
- To make the yogurt sauce: In a small bowl, mix the cilantro with the yogurt.
- Enjoy the lentils over a bowl of rice topped with yogurt sauce.
Watch Your Sodium
Use no sodium spices or fresh herbs instead of salt. The recommended sodium intake is 2,300mg per day or less.