137 calories | 14g carbs | 9g fat (1 sat fat) | 2g protein | 94mg sodium | 4g fiber | 8g total sugar (1g added sugar) per serving
Serves 8 for $4.55
This heart-healthy, diabetes friendly recipe is an easy and tasty way to eat your veggies.
- 1 pound collard greens, stems removed and sliced into ribbons
- 1 small onion, shredded using the large holes of a box grater
- 2 carrots shredded using the large holes of a box grater
- 2 apples shredded using the large holes of a box grater
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Combine the collard greens, onion, carrots and apples in a large bowl.
- Pour sauce from step 1 over the collard green mixture and combine well to coat all of the vegetables. Allow to sit 2 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to come together.
- Serve with chopped peanuts and cilantro (if desired) on top.
Fold into a small flour tortilla with a fried egg or cooked and chopped chicken breast
Reduce Food Waste
Carrots and apples starting to go bad? You can still use them for this recipe.