The Capital Area Food Bank is proud to announce that the 2015 Food From the Bar campaign is the most successful to date and has quickly become one our largest annual fundraisers. Forty-seven legal organizations, firms and law schools rallied together to raise more than $260,000 for the CAFB – double the results from last year and the equivalent of 650,000 meals. Since the inception of the campaign in 2008, the Washington legal community has provided more than 2 million meals for seniors, families and children struggling with hunger in the Washington metro area.
A new component was added to the campaign this year, in which participants could gain points through Volunteer Bonus Days. In less than 30 days, 120 legal professionals volunteered more than 500 hours distributing produce to neighbors in need at our Community Marketplace, placing allergy labels on food donations, and packing Weekend Bags to support children at risk of hunger in the community.
This campaign comes at a critical time for the food bank, when children who rely on federally-funded school lunch programs are out of school and turn to the food bank and our partners for summertime meals.
We are grateful to all 47 participants for their dedication and help in solving hunger in our region. The top three firms were:
- DLA Piper US LLP 45,438 points | 112,372 meals.
- Arnold & Porter LLP: 37,608 points | 94,228 meals.
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP: 32,162 points | 75,408 meals.
And the Overall Winners of the Campaign were:
- Large Firm: DLA Piper – $ 44,922/ 112,372 meals
- Medium/Best All-Around: Bracewell & Giuliani – $ 15,810/ 39,597 meals
- Small Firm: Stinson Leonard Street – $4,426/ 5,326 meals
- Most Per Capita Award: Cassidy Levy Kent – $567/person
- Cornucopia Award: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP – 3,763 pounds/3,100 meals
- Best Law School: Georgetown University Law Center: 1,847 points/ 993 meals
- Finish Line Award: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP – $14,343 raised on May 29
- Kickoff Award: Arnold & Porter LLP – $27,445 raised on May 1
- Spirit Award: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP – 25 volunteers/ 2,500 points
- Creativity Award: Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP