More than 100 participants in the Capital Area Food Bank’s Kids Cafe and Brown Bag program got a special treat when they visited the DC distribution center today for a pre-Thanksgiving surprise. President and Mrs. Obama and members of their extended family packed and distributed bags filled with special holiday food, to the amazement and delight of all the participants. The Oregon State Basketball Team, along with Coach Craig Robinson, even helped distribute bags of food.
This is the second year in a row that the First Family has volunteered its time and helped us feed our neighbors in need. We are truly grateful to the President and Mrs. Obama, Sasha and Malia and to the family and friends for making this a remarkable Thanksgiving by shining a light on the issue of hunger.
Today’s participants included:
- Summer Ridge Community Center
- Children of Mine, Inc., Washington, DC
- Jubilee at Southern Ridge
- SEED, Inc., Riverdale, MD
- Gospel Rescue Mission, Washington, DC
- Avondale/Manor Apartments, Hyattsville, MD
- Allen Chapel AME Church, Washington, DC
- Faith Tabernacle of Prayer, Washington, DC
- Shabach Emergency Resource & Empowerment Center, Landover, MD
- DC Office of Aging, Washington, DC
We are in the midst of a hunger crisis right here in the shadow of the nation’s capital and throughout the United States. More than 680,000 residents are struggling to get life’s most basic need – food. We recently had to move into a new, larger facility to meet the increased demand.
So when we sit down this Thanksgiving to a bounty of food, let us not forget the thousands among us who are struggling to get enough food to eat, not just at Thanksgiving, but throughout the year. A special thank you again to the President and the First Family for helping us in our mission to serve others ’til no one is hungry.