I want to take a moment to thank the 12,000 + volunteers that supported the Capital Area Food Bank over the last year! Our volunteers make a huge difference at the food bank and their support is critical to our ability to reach our mission.
This summer we held our first-ever Volunteer Appreciation event, which gave us the opportunity to celebrate and recognize our volunteers. This was an exciting event with over 100 people in attendance, activities and guest speakers.
Pictured Below CAFB Volunteer Coordinator Nicole Durant welcomes volunteers to the event:
President and CEO Lynn Brantley spoke to our volunteers and shared her own history sorting salvage in the warehouse. Board member Pete Jones of Wachovia shared words of gratitude to thank volunteers for helping the food bank’s operations and programs.
We were fortunate to have Operation Frontline Chef Sean Thomas give a cooking demonstration of yogurt parfaits to audience members. Long-time ambassador volunteer and now part-time staff member Mary Dancy shared her experience volunteering with the food bank. We even had a packing contest between two long-term volunteers, Ryan Lore and Laura Williams, to showcase our warehouse volunteer opportunities.
Below Chef Sean Thomas prepares yogurt parfaits to demonstrate the Operation Frontline program:
What’s more, we gave out awards to outstanding volunteers including:
- Ambassador Volunteer of the Year: Marjorie Share
- Corporate Group of the Year: Deloitte Consulting, LLP
- Group Coordinator of the Year: Kristen Erbelding (Center for Student Missions)
- Operation Frontline Chef Volunteer of the Year: Monica Thomas
- Operation Frontline Class Assistant Volunteer of the Year: Courtney Anderson
- Operation Frontline Nutritionist of the Year: Amanda Schmid
- Operation Frontline Rookie Volunteer of the Year: Sean Thomas
- Recurring Group of the Year: Gospel Rescue Ministries
- Volunteer of the Year: Susan MacKnight
- Volunteer Group of the Year: The Monroe Family (pictured below)
Thank you to all of the volunteers who attended and to all of our volunteers who have come throughout the year to help the food bank reach its mission! We look forward to working with all of our volunteers and always welcome new ones! Please visit this page to sign up and find out more information on our volunteer opportunities.