The pervasive and systemic racial inequity in our region and country is, and has always been, unacceptable. For far too long, the negative disparities it creates in life expectancy, economic opportunity, and countless other outcomes – especially for our Black community members – have created roadblocks to the full realization of potential for both individuals and our nation as a whole. To state what should be obvious: Black lives matter. Each one, profoundly. Any act or system that indicates otherwise has no place in our society.
As an organization, the Capital Area Food Bank is committed to advancing equity for all through access to good, nutritious food. Our 40-year history is rooted in this work, and the belief that every human being is entitled to the nourishment they need to thrive; to equal opportunities; and to the right to live life as they determine.
We have called out the racial and societal inequities in our region and made addressing them through our primary mission of providing food to those in need a central part of both our values and our strategy. But there is more that we can and must do to be a part of the ongoing movement towards change. As an organization, we will:
- Continuously listen to, amplify, and be led by the voices of the underrepresented individuals and communities we serve, putting their needs at the center of our work.
- Focus our work on advancing equity by creating access to food for all and pairing it with services that lower barriers to opportunity.
- Advocate for government policies that can make a positive impact on the lives of the underrepresented communities we serve who are facing hunger.
- Support and uplift the many organizations in our network with missions focused on addressing and dismantling systemic racism and injustice.
- Prioritize the diversity of our staff, leadership, board, and vendors, ensuring in an ongoing way that the voices and experiences of people of color and women are significantly represented and heard at every level of our organization.
Ending racial and societal inequity demands action. We are committed to that action, and to using the full strength of our organizational voice to create the change that must occur.