170 calories | 23g carbs | 7g fat (2.5g sat fat) | 3g protein | 320mg sodium | 3g fiber per serving
Serves 8 for $5.65
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) package chicken or corn bread stuffing
- In a large pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat until the butter foams.
- Sauté the onions, celery, and apple until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1½ cups water; mix well, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the stuffing, turn off the heat, and cover the pot. Allow the stuffing to sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.
Use ½ lb. chopped mushroom in place of the apple. Or, add ¼ cup of raisins for a touch of natural sweetness.
Add Fresh Flavor:
Add 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped roesemary or thyme.
Stretch Your Budget:
Add chopped veggies and fruit to stretch this recipe.