272 calories | 35g carbs | 5g fat (0.7g sat fat) | 7 g protein | 10mg sodium | 5g fiber per serving
Serves 8 for $3.85
- 1 green cabbage, quartered, core removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16-ounce box) whole wheat pasta (spirals, bow ties, etc.)
- Oil, salt, & pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, cook the onion until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add cabbage and turn up heat slightly, stirring to coat with oil.
- Cook cabbage until it begins to brown, adding a little water if it begins to stick to the pan.
- Cover and let cook, around 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Cook pasta, following instructions on package.
- Add drained pasta to the cabbage and combine with remaining oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Mix in a can of rinsed and drained white beans or chickpeas for added protein.
For a Thai twist, toss with peanut sauce instead of oil at the end of cooking. To make peanut sauce, stir together ½ cup peanut butter, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 1/3 cup water until smooth. Add more water for a thinner sauce. Toss with the cabbage and noodles.