It’s almost spring, but temperatures can still be cold. Warm yourself up with this filling recipe. It’s a heart-healthy recipe, and it’s quite affordable—serving six people for $6.40.
Our recipe cards were created to ensure that families in the community have access to healthy, affordable recipes to use with the food they receive at Food Bank and partner distributions. Learn more!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans or Great Northern beans, with liquid
Prepare all the ingredients first (do all measuring, chopping, etc.). This makes following the recipe easier once you start to cook.
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Heat to boiling, then reduce to low.
Cover and cook 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender. Serve with brown rice.