Gifts of assets that have gone up in value since their purchase can be particularly beneficial to the donor. Consider that:
- Sales of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and real property that have appreciated in value generate a taxable capital gain.
- Gifts of appreciated assets to the Capital Area Food Bank are deductible at their full fair market value if they have been held longer than twelve months.
- The full fair market value of these assets can be deducted up to thirty percent (30%) of the donor’s adjusted gross income.
- Excess deductions can be carried forward into as many as five additional tax years.
How to Make a Gift of Stock or Bonds
- Contact your Investment Executive about your intent to donate. He or she can help you determine which stocks in your portfolio are the best candidates for donations.
- Let your Investment Executive know that you would like to donate stock to:
Capital Area Food Bank
4900 Puerto Rico Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20017-2063
Contact: Christel Hair
Chief Development Officer
Tax ID #: 52-1167581
- The gift should be delivered to:
1650 Tyson’s Blvd., Suite 150
McLean, VA 22102
(703) 761-1569 or (800) 435-9050
Fax: (703) 761-1573
DTC#: 0164 Code 40
Account #: 9148-2489